Friday 9 June 2017

Baby Mooncalf (inspired by the Harry Potter Series)


This shy little creature was spotted dancing under the full moon, however as the morning approached he was separated from his herd as they made their way back to the burrow. Lost and alone he instead followed me home, which I couldn't be more happy about, but he belongs with his own kind and next full moon I plan to make sure he finds his way home.


With his long neck, large eyes, flat feet and cute little tail, this Mooncalf was one creature I just had to make. Disappointingly, I could not find any type of pattern for this fantastic beast, so I had to try to create one myself. To see how it would turn out I made this small version first, that way I could get a idea of how it would look, how to put it together and what parts of it I would need to change.


Having never created a pattern before I actually cheated a little. I started with a basic shape I liked the look of for the body, I then extended the neck and made the head rounder and slightly larger. I then had to design the feet, I actually used the Cornish Pixies feet as a guide for this. The ears and tail were simple enough to draw and the eyes for this little creature are simply just buttons.


Such an adorable and majestic creature, I totally fell for the Mooncalf after seeing Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It is a little surprising to me that this creature hasn't become more popular, with its beautiful big eyes and enchantingly adorable nature. This was so much fun to create and I do love how he turned out. I hope to create a larger version at some stage, but I will first have to decide how to create those lovely big eyes for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment